Wednesday, September 26, 2012

SEO Checklist

I will keep a on page seo checklist here that I will use in the future websites I will be optimizing.

  • Upload a sitemap and show it in Webmaster tools
  • Create/modify titles. Use up to 65 characters. See duplicate or missing titles in Webmaster tools
  • Create/modify descriptions if not all pages have at least %75 unique content. Use up to 165 characters. See duplicate or missing descriptions in Webmaster tools
  • Every page needs to have one and only one H1 heading containing a targeted keyword that is consistent with the page theme
  • Eliminate XHTML, CSS errors
  • Eliminate broken links. See broken links in Webmaster tools
  • Check HTTP response for pages not found and verify 404 status code
  • Apply gzip/deflate compression to pages and linked css, js files. Check suggestion from PageSpeed extension for Firefox
  • Check redirects. If a site is intended to be moved permanently, 301 redirects must be used.

I will update this page time to time. The list will certainly expand.

No comments:

Post a Comment